Monday, May 2, 2011

Wooly Bear Caterpillar

Back in October Abi and Lauren found a caterpillar and wanted it to turn into a butterfly. I looked it up on the internet and found out that it was a wooly bear caterpillar and would turn into a moth. There were directions on how to help it survive.







We were to put a stick in the jar and fresh grass everyday until the caterpillar came down and hibernated. Then we were supposed to remove the grass and put the jar outside in a safe spot until winter was over and the grass started to turn green. I waited too long and when we went to check it had already spun its cocoon. It was supposed to come out in 10 days.




Yesterday morning I commented to David that I thought it must be dead because it had been more than the 10 days it was supposed to be, but then after church the moth was there. We called the friends that were with us the day we found it and they came over to release it. It wouldn't fly right away (I thought that was because it was hungry from not eating before making the cocoon), but we left it on a leaf and it was gone by morning. A very neat learning experience for my girls!


2 comments:

ShEiLa said...

Too cooL!

ToOdLeS.

Jaime said...

You are such an awesome mom! We recently found a caterpillar and put it in a jar but I never had time to figure out what to do with it so I let it go so it wouldn't die. Maybe next time I won't be so busy.